[HarfBuzz] the feature tag support in harfbuzz

Akira TAGOH akira at tagoh.org
Mon May 28 18:55:36 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> Yes.  There is no need to change anything in HarfBuzz right now.

Cool.

>  - Figure out whether we want to add the feature markup in fontconfig branded
> as fontconfig itself, or harfbuzz, or pango.  I'd say do plain fontconfig.

I agree.

>  - Add fontconfig elements for turning features on / off.  Not sure about the
> best format.  Maybe just support turning on?

Maybe. at least for those feature tags, they conflict each other. so
that should works enough. if there are any requirements to turn off -
for example, it's enabled by default in the font but one wants to
disable the feature - we could think the way how to do that as needed.

>  - In the harfbuzz-ng-external branch of Pango, in the basic-fc.c module, get
> the features from the FcPattern and pass them to HarfBuzz.

Okay. let me have a look.

> That's all you need.  Later on we should also add API and markup to turn
> features on/off from Pango itself.
>
>> I'm still keen to see this feature to make things better and willing
>> to go back the work on this.
>
> Well, since most of the work now is on the fontconfig side, I believe you're
> in the right position to do that!

Sure. thanks for kindly help!

--
Akira TAGOH