[HarfBuzz] Questions about interacting with HarfBuzz

Lóránt Pintér lorant.pinter at prezi.com
Thu Nov 1 09:46:53 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> I found your harfbuzz-js tree on github and took a look. I highly recommend
> that you don't bind the *.hh files. Those are internal. The public API is
> anything that gets installed by "make install", which happens to be *.h.

Hm. I'm not sure how I could work with a hb_buffer_t if not by replicating its structure in JS first. Or to create a callback for glyph_h_advance_func etc. calls. For these I need to work with the .hh files. Do you see any other solution?

> > On a more serious note, is support for "morx" planned? Is the lack of support
> > due to some fundamental incompatibility with HarfBuzz architecture, or is it
> > because nobody did the work yet? In case of the latter, would you accept
> > contributions if my company made this? (Not sure if we really would, but I'm
> > interested in the possibilities.)
> >

> It just never was priority. That seems to be changing a bit, since it looks
> like OpenJDK may also be interested. So I added it to my TODO list for the
> rest of the year. We'll see how far I get!

I see. Thanks for the info. Would love to use fonts with morx as well.

> > > Can't help without seeing the code / font. Did you try the code in C first BTW?
> >
> > Not yet, but I will, and report back with my findings.
> >

> I talked to the emscripten maintainer. He thinks this should not happen
> unless you turned unsafe optimizations on. Definitely report it.

I will look into it later for sure, but for now it works fine with a (double) cast (and that actually makes more sense in JS).

Thanks for your help,
Lorant