[HarfBuzz] hb-ot-shape-closure problems

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Sun Oct 7 03:10:14 PDT 2012

[commit 9947bd6d]

Behdad,

I have forgotten what exactly `hb-ot-shape-closure' does, and I had to
look it up in the internet.  Maybe you can add a few words to the
output of `--help', something like

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/harfbuzz/2012-May/001945.html

Testing with TeX Gyre Pagella, I get output which I can't explain:

  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "a"
  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "ab"
  .notdef S
  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "abc"
  .notdef S s
  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "abcd"
  .notdef S s semicolon
  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "abcde"
  .notdef S s semicolon seven
  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "abcdef"
  .notdef S s semicolon seven six
  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "abcdefg"
  .notdef S s semicolon seven six slash
  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "abcdefgh"
  .notdef S s semicolon seven six slash space

I would expect that e.g. the input `ab' always generates glyphs `a'
and `b'...

BTW, this one looks OK:

  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "f"
  f f_f

But this one is strange again:

  > ./hb-ot-shape-closure texgyrepagella-regular.otf "fi"
  eight T

It seems that something is broken in the current git version of
harfbuzz...

    Werner