[HarfBuzz] icu-le-hb

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Oct 17 15:24:07 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I sat down and wrote icu-le-hb a small library exposing the
API of ICU LayoutEngine, and using HarfBuzz to do the real work.  I hvae not
tested this beyond "compiles", and don't have an easy way to test it either.

That's when you come in :).  If you know any icule users, git it a go.  It
definitely wouldn't work initially, but is simple and small enough that should
be easy to fix.  Main users I can thin kof, and in which I'm interested, are:

  * OpenJDK (it has an old copy of icule inside a directory called layout/),

  * OO.o, or whatever it's called these days :),

  * XeTeX

The library is not supposed to be binary compatible with ICU LE.  So, it's
fine to add modify the API slightly, or modify the client site.

Anyway, if you give it a go let me know.  Ok, name calling time.  Khaled,
Martin, Steven, I'm looking at you!

Cheers,
behdad

PS. https://github.com/behdad/icu-le-hb