[HarfBuzz] 'CoverageFormat1::Iter' cannot access private struct declared in class 'CoverageFormat1'

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Sep 15 18:15:59 PDT 2012

On 09/13/2012 07:32 AM, Samiullah Khawaja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build hurfbuzz 0.9.3 in Visual Studio 2005. It gives me
> following error in file: hb-ot-layout-common-private.h on line: 561
>
> 'CoverageFormat1::Iter' cannot access private struct declared in class
> 'CoverageFormat1'.
>
> I did some investigation and found that the Iter is declared private in the
> CoverageFormat1 struct and thus the compiler error occurs.

Humm.  This sounds like a difference in how "friend" handling works in VS
2005.  I'm leaning towards not having to support such an old compiler.  I
tried adding additional friend declarations to help resolve this but adding
"friend Coverage::Iter" before Coverage itself is fully defined doesn't seem
to work, so I'm out of ideas for a simple fix short of making the Iter's
public.  That's probably not a big deal, but diverts from the current design
of HarfBuzz.

behdad