[HarfBuzz] an issue regarding discrepancy between Korean and Unicode standards

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Apr 5 09:29:10 PDT 2013

Thanks for investigating.  Comments inline.

On 13-04-05 05:32 AM, Dohyun Kim wrote:
> Sorry for the noise.
> I have booted on Windows machine and tested uniscribe a bit.  My guess
> on how uniscribe works on Hangul is:
>
> 1. decompose hangul syllables to jamos

Easy.

> 2. compose single jamos to composite jamo as possible as can be
>     eg., U+1100 U+1100 => U+1101
>     Note:  mapping table for this composition is available at
>       ftp://ktug.org/ktug/hcr-lvt/composejamotojamo.map

Interesting.  That mapping is not in Unicode, correct?

> 3. compose jamos to hangul syllable as possible as can be
>    Note:  this process complies with KSC 1026-1.  In other words, jamo
> sequence <L V> in <L V OT> is *not* converted to LV, where L means
> leading consonant, V means medial vowel, OT means *old* trailing
> consonant (U+11C3..U+11FF U+D7CB..U+D7FB), and LV means Hangul
> syllable equivalent to L V.

I see.  Makes sense.

> 4. apply opentype layout features
>
> It is somewhat complicated but gives perfect result.  It satisfies
> both the Korean and Unicode standards.  Nevertheless, what current
> hafbuzz does is quite excellent as well and I am satisfied with it.  I
> am reporting just for reference.

Good to know.  At least we now have an idea of what can be done.  If you
change your mind and think there's good reason (ie fonts in the wild) that
this is necessary, I can take a look at it.

behdad