[HarfBuzz] Hangul Shaper (was Re: an issue regarding discrepancy between Korean and Unicode standards

Dohyun Kim nomosnomos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 07:10:09 PDT 2013

2013/4/16 Dohyun Kim <nomosnomos at gmail.com>:
> 2013/4/15 Dohyun Kim <nomosnomos at gmail.com>:
>>
>> The behavior of new Uniscribe is quote confusing and seems to be
>> inconsistant on some points.  I cannot describe concisely what it
>> does.  But it is evident that it renders correctly only those input
>> sequence which is compliant to KS X 1026-1.
>>

> OK.  My guess about the behavior of new Uniscribe:
>
> 1.  demarcate syllable blocks according to KS X 1026-1
>
>    - between L and L, V and V, T and T, or L and T (these are illegal string)
>    - between V and L, T and L, or M and L (these are legal break point)
>    - between Jamo and non-Jamo character including Hangul syllables
>    - but not between L and V, V and T, T and M, V and M, LVT and M, LV and M.

Oh, I have left out one stunning thing.  I really dislike this sort of behavior:

   - The Jamo sequence of <L V T> is divided into <L | V | T>, if
equivalent <LVT> syllable exists.
   - Likewise, <L V> sequence is divided into <L | V>, if it is not
followed by T and equivalent <LV> syllable exists.

--
Dohyun Kim
College of Law, Dongguk University