[HarfBuzz] Questionable use of DEBUG

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 02:15:32 PDT 2013

On 27/04/2013 21:37, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> The debug is fine.  The if gets optimized out by the compiler.  That's
> by design.

Hi Behdad.  Can I ask how confident you are about this (for example, is
there something in the Harfbuzz code to guarantee that there won't be a
DEBUG macro when we're building our Release code?)  I discussed this
with some colleagues this morning but the consensus was that a compiler
itself can't be relied upon to optimize away the DEBUG macro.  But if
Harfbuzz is written to take care of it, that should be fine.  Thanks.

John