[HarfBuzz] Auto Fractions vs VULGAR FRACTION characters

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun Dec 29 23:29:54 PST 2013

On 13-12-27 05:15 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 04:14:10PM -0800, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
>> Well, the source of the problem here is trying to show something that has a
>> compatibility decomposition with its decomposition. I believe compatibility
>> decomposition should be ignored when displaying stuff. If the font doesn't
>> have a glyph for trademark symbol, I definitely prefer to see A™ rendered
>> as A{tofu}, instead of ATM. The first tells me something is unsupported.
>> The second tells me something is OK, when it's not.
>
> +1 (though most HarfBuzz clients seem to not use it anyway, so not much
> of an issue in practice).

I really do want to keep current functionality so we fallback things like
bullet, ellipsis, various spaces.  That has been a long-time requested feature
in GNOME, and while the itemizer changes are not in place yet, the plain
fallback is already an improvement.

So I'm leaning towards what I proposed in the API thread, to add an outparam
for compatibility formatting tags:

  http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/#Character_Decomposition_Mappings

I also appreciate replies on that thread, though I understand this is a busy
time of the year.

Cheers,