[HarfBuzz] Ligatures and color changes

Lóránt Pintér lorant.pinter at prezi.com
Tue Feb 19 09:20:13 PST 2013

Hi,

I have a problem with half-colored ligatures, like "(5) mfim" in the image:

I figured out two ways to do this, but neither is good enough:
I can shape each color range separately, but then I lose the kerning between them, breaking (6)
I can tell HarfBuzz to disable ligatures for the last of the first character of each color range, but then it breaks (2) or (3) and (4).

Is there maybe a way to tell HarfBuzz to ignore ligatures if they span that color boundary? Or is there maybe a way to (quickly) assess if "liga" would be applied to a range of characters?

Thanks.

--
Lóránt Pintér
Developer at Prezi (http://prezi.com)