[HarfBuzz] An example, another variation of anoek/ex-sdl-cairo-freetype-harfbuzz

Alexander Sabourenkov llxxnntt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:39:16 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 5:20 AM, Anthony Carrico <acarrico at memebeam.org> wrote:
> On 01/04/2013 06:37 PM, Alexander Sabourenkov wrote:
>> Here:
>>
>> https://github.com/lxnt/ex-sdl-freetype-harfbuzz
>
> I'm new to typography. What do the terms spanner and baton mean in your
> code?

They are not related to typography in any way.

The spanners are callback functions that get supplied to the
Freetype's rendering function.
Freetype renders glyphs in horizontal spans of pixels, hence the name.
See Freetype api docs for FT_SpanFunc, FT_Raster_Params, FT_Outline_Render.

Baton is a generic name for a data structure passed to an
user-supplied callback function, the term possibly
originates from athletic relay competitions. I picked it up from
Subversion folks back when I was hacking on it.

> It is great to have another example because I am unaware of any other
> documentation. Thanks.

You're welcome.

--

./lxnt