[HarfBuzz] Build with gcc 3.4.6

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 22 17:29:53 PDT 2013

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:22:26 -0400
Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> On 13-07-22 02:54 AM, Ian Walberg wrote:

> > We are trying to build 0.9.19 on an old Red hat 7.3 platform with
> > gcc 3.4.6,...

> > The error we get is :-

> > CXX    libharfbuzz_la-hb-blob.lo

> > cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option
> > "-fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

> You can try removing that option from configure.ac, but I'm fairly
> sure you'll hit compiler bugs around template instantiations that we
> have not been able to work around.

Just deleting the option seemed to work fine with gcc 3.4.3 on Solaris
10.  Going as far back as gcc 3.4.3 does raise compiler bugs with const
v. not const not being enough to resolve overloading.  See the thread
'Compilation Troubles on Solaris 10' in April 2013 for details.  I
resolved my run-time problems, though you may hit a problem with
FreeType or pkg-config being too old.

Richard.