[HarfBuzz] pango and harfbuzz

Felipe Heidrich felipeottawa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 15:04:15 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm evaluating pango and harfbuzz to use with javafx and I have a couple
questions:

1) Advance typographic features (i.e
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-fonts/#font-rend-props)
In pango I was only able to find support for small caps (in PangoVariant)
In harfbuzz, hb_shape() takes an array of hb_features_t. I suppose any
feature available in the font can be selected using harfbuzz ?

Is that right, or am I missing something ?

2) glyph advances
Is there any difference between glyph advances produced harfbuzz and pango ?
I would like, if possible, to use linear (non-hinted) advances.

Note that I started with pango since it provides a complete solution
including
-itemizer (not mandatory for me)
-shaper
-font fallback (I think)
-glyph metrics (xMax, yMax, xMin, yMin)
-glyph images
-glyph outlines

Turns out that for most of what I'm doing I also need either cairo or
freetype to work with pango.
I'm not 100% on this one, but using cairo does not provide anything extra
(as it seems cairo uses freetype).
So instead of using pango+cairo or (pango+freetype) I could directly use
freetype (for glyph images/outlines/metrics) and harfbuzz (for shaping
complex text).

Please advise.

Thank you
Felipe