[HarfBuzz] Contextual shaping of Malayalam post(pre)/below base forms

Suresh P sureshp at gmx.com
Sun Jun 16 20:17:10 PDT 2013

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 13-06-13 07:57 AM, Suresh P wrote:
>> Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>> The engine doesn't do anything specific for blwf, so whatever you put in your
>>> (contextual) lookup is what happens.  pref is different since the engine does
>>> reordering.  But it only does the reordering if the virama,consonant have
>>> ligated.  So, again, yes, you can block the reordering using a contextual
>>> lookup.
>> But I find the ligation(for pref and blwf) always happen irrespective of the
>> rules in the contextual lookup.
> That doesn't make sense.
Okay, as per the spec.
>    Show us the font and malfunctioning sequence.
There is no malfunctioning as such. But is looks weird when one see a
pre-base RA in front of a base YA ( and a below base LA subjoining YA )
because it is never written like this. Instead, in actual use, ligation
(and reordering) is avoided and written with explicit virama. A test
case is attached herewith and it applies to any font which uses pre-base
RA and below base LA. It is better left to the font developer to decide
the contexts.