[HarfBuzz] [Indic] Inspecting the font for consonant position with Free Sans

Bobby de Vos devos.bobby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 11:19:24 PST 2013

On 2013-03-05 17:58, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> The problem is: Free Sans has both deva and dev2 tables.  HarfBuzz correctly
> chooses dev2.  Now, we then proceed to find the base.  For that, we check
> whether "Virama,RA" matches the blwf feature.  It doesn't.  As such we take RA
> to be the syllable base, and things go down from there.

Slightly off topic (for which I apologize) what tables should an Indic
font designer be using for fonts that will be used with Harfbuzz,
Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8), iOS, OS X, Android, InDesign, etc? Certainly
I can see putting in new spec tables (ie dev2). Would it be recommended
to also add old spec tables (ie deva) as well?

Thanks,
Bobby

--
Bobby de Vos