[HarfBuzz] FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING should be used?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Mar 6 17:24:27 PST 2013

On 13-02-26 06:39 AM, Samiullah Khawaja wrote:
> Should we use the FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING flag when loading glyphs using
> the FT_Load_Glyph call?

Depends on whether you want hinting enabled or not.  I should change hb-ft to
take load flags from the user.

> I assume that harfbuzz provides the hinting values from the x_position and
> y_position values, so this flag should be used?

No, these are two different things.  Don't confuse them.  Hinting changes
glyph advance width / shape.  HarfBuzz uses those numbers to position glyphs.
 So you need to make sure you pass the correct value to harfbuzz.

Now, when you say "should we use...", it's not clear to me who you mean by
"we".  If you mean "hb-ft", it must be made configurable, and I'll make it so.