[HarfBuzz] Regression with ZWJ in Indic scripts

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Mar 19 03:21:22 PDT 2013

I was doing something like:

  script = hb_script_from_string (engine->script, -1)
  language = hb_language_from_string (engine->language, -1)
  hb_buffer_set_script (buffer, script)
  hb_buffer_set_language (buffer, language)

But this didn’t work for, say, ‘bng2’ script, now I understand that the
_from_string() functions take ISO tags, so now I do something like:

  script = hb_ot_tag_to_script (hb_tag_from_string (engine->script, -1));
  language = hb_ot_tag_to_language (hb_tag_from_string (engine->language, -1));

since users of XeTeX are expected to pass OpenType script and language
tags (macro package can provide user friendly names). Now I’m not sure
if passing version 1/version 2 tags for Indic scripts really make
HaarfBuzz use them, or there is some internal magic to do the right
thing, I was about to ask :)

Regards,
Khaled