[HarfBuzz] Tai Tham NGA, SAKOT is not Kinzi

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan thep at linux.thai.net
Wed May 1 05:54:46 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
<thep at linux.thai.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Richard Wordingham
> <richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> (c) The problem here is that some styles, such as that of the
>> Maefahluang dictionary of Northern Thai (MFL), place MA KANG LAI on the
>> first consonant when the second has a vowel above (SIGN I, SIGN II) or
>> MEDIAL RA.  Now the MFL may be unusual; it uses MAI KANG LAI within a
>> word where on general Indic principles (or is it just European
>> conventions?) I would expect MAI KANG (= anusvara). Some examples of MAI
>> KANG LAI being on the first syllable because the second is graphically
>> unsuitable are:
>>
>> (i) ᩁᩘᩈᩦ <RA, MAI KANG LAI, SA, SIGN II> 'ray of light'
>> (ii) ᩈᩘᨠᩕᩣᨶ᩠ᨲᩴ <HIGH SA, MAI KANG LAI, HIGH KA, MEDIAL RA, AA, NA,
>> SAKOT, HIGH TA, RA HAAM> 'songkran'
>>
>> Do we need the shaper to cope with these exceptions?
>
> The question probably applies to Lanna, not Khuen or Lao Tham.
>
> (i) is usually spelt "ᩁᩢ᩠ᨦᩈᩦ" in Lao Tham manuscripts. I haven't found samples
> for (ii) yet, but I tend to spell it "ᩈᩫ᩠ᨦᨠᩕᩣᨶ᩠ᨲ" or "ᩈᨦ᩠ᨠᩕᩣᨶ᩠ᨲ" from
> what I have learnt.

Ahem, I've found an evidence for Lao/Esaan Tham for the case similar to
(ii). It's still placed on the second consonant for "ᩈᩘᨠᩕᩣ᩠ᩈ"
<HIGH SA, MAI KANG LAI, HIGH KA, MEDIAL RA, AA, SAKOT, HIGH SA>
'sangrat' (สังกราส ~ ศักราช)

http://reg.ksu.ac.th/bai_laan/THM2.pdf  pp.the last page.

So, MEDIAL RA should not affect the shift of MAI KANG LAI for Lao/Esaan
Tham.

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/