[HarfBuzz] Tai Tham NGA, SAKOT is not Kinzi

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan thep at linux.thai.net
Fri May 3 21:16:29 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Richard Wordingham
<richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Yes.  I much prefer hand-written sources.  It took me a while to work
> out what was going on with apparent spellings such as <HIGH HA, MEDIAL
> LA, NGA, SAKOT, WA> for _luang_ (Thai transliteration หลวง).
> Handwritten text explained it - not only do superscript characters
> invade the airspace of following base characters, but chains of
> subscript characters also tunnel under following base characters.

I think I've seen similar spelling for "หมอน" in some manuscript
(e.g. [1], second page, line 3). But the VOWEL OA BELOW can also
be seen as being placed next to the subjoined MA, just like Lanna
ligatures for subjoined NA + VOWEL U Ed used to mentioned.
But the OA BELOW just takes more space in this case.

[1] http://linux.thai.net/~thep/esaan-scripts/trans-tham/botsutkhwan.html#16

(Yeah, my font is rendering wrong here with Firefox/Harfbuzz, although it
rendered properly with old Pango 1.30. I'm trying to fix it.)

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/