[HarfBuzz] Build system

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon May 27 16:54:05 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I finally got to spending some time on the build system.  As of now:

  - Unneeded code is all disabled by default,

  - Uniscribe and CoreText shapers can be enabled with their --with options,

  - icu_le and old shapers cannot be enabled for now,

  - glib, freetype, and cairo will be detected automatically.  They can be
force on/off'ed with their --with options,

  - icu and graphite2 are default off, can be enabled with their --with options,

What I like to do is to move hb-icu implementation into libharfbuzz-icu.so
such that distros can enable it without every application on earth getting
linked to ICU via libharfbuzz.so

For distros I recommend that they make sure they are building --with-glib
--with-freetype --with-cairo, optionally --with-graphite2 and --with-icu.
I'll try to do the .so surgery tonight.