[HarfBuzz] icu-le-hb

Steven R. Loomis srl at icu-project.org
Fri Nov 15 10:49:01 PST 2013

On 15/11/13 10:26, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 13-11-15 01:15 PM, Dejan Kovacevic wrote:
>>  > Any reason you've made so much whitespace and cosmetic changes?  Makes
>>> reviewing your work much harder than it has to be.
>> Heh, I though the same before I started reviewing the original code... :)
> I'm not talking about style here.  It just pollutes the diff output.

Doesn't really matter as far as ICU goes - I don't think it would ever
be diffed against ICU's code itself, so it's better as Behdad said to
keep it closer to the HB code.
>> Anyway, I made these formatting changes to be more consistent with ICU Layout Engine's code. Once I realized that the wrapper code is really just the LayoutEngine.cpp, my idea was that this wrapper should perhaps be a part of ICU LE.
> Not really.  It replaces ICU LayoutEngine, so doesn't make sense to be part of
> it.  Though, now I'm going to propose that the wrapper be imported into ICU
> itself as a compile-time option.
So being a separate library, it doesn't really need to be part of 'ICU
itself'. ICU would be happy to host this though if it makes things better.

 ( Legal side:  there's a copyright assignment process, but I'm glad to
walk you through it. I'll write you off-list for follow up, but the
process is at http://userguide.icu-project.org/dev/contributions and you
might be interested in an 'ongoing form' if you want to contribute to
the old LE side as well. I'll reply to our old thread about it. )

back to the technical side --  does it matter that HB sometimes depends
on ICU? That seems to be the only obstacle I see to having a
"--use-harfbuzz" type switch on the ICU LE.  Let me know what you think.

-s