[HarfBuzz] GSUB LookupType 6 Format 1

Olivier Berten olivier.berten at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 07:28:52 PST 2013

Hi!

I guess there are more appropriate lists for that question but among the
ones I'm subscribed to this seems the one where I have the most chances to
get an answer.

GSUB LookupType 6 Format 1 is not very widely used in general. But it is
present in several of the standard Windows 8.1 fonts (Calibri, Cambria,
SegoeUI, Sitka, Nirmala, ...) as well as in Adobe's Bickham Script Pro and
Adobe Arabic. The problem is these tables don't make sense according to the
specifications... They all have a Coverage offset of 6, which is the offset
of the ChainSubRuleSet. The only fonts to have it "right" (according to the
specs) are Amiri, EBGaramond and Noto Sans (Malayalam & Telugu)... I guess
it's because they use free software which are following the specs...

So could anybody tell what's wrong in the specs ? or if MS and Adobe's
fonts are just buggy ? ;-)

Yours,

Olivier