[HarfBuzz] The canonical ordering of hamza marks

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Oct 18 17:00:37 PDT 2013

This is all well understood, quite unfortunate but that is how Unicode
is currently is, but…

1) The original issue that started this (sub)thread; if I have
   <U+0622,U+0670> or <U+0627,U+0653,U+0670>, I expect the small Alef to
   be above the Madda, placing the Madda above the small Alef will give
   the sequence a totally new meaning, this is unacceptable IMHO.

2) The fact that U+0622 is canonically equivalent to <U+0627,U+0653>
   pretty much rules out the ability to use of U+0653 as a vowel mark,
   no other vowel mark in the Arabic block exhibit such a normalization
   behaviour. This shouldn’t prevent some Arabic-script using language
   from using it as a modifier, as I would expect it then to still
   behave as an MCM mark.

Regards,
Khaled