[HarfBuzz] syllable boundaries and indic features

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 30 14:02:50 PDT 2013

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:56 +0100
Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It looks to me like we may need to constrain Indic GSUB features to
> syllable boundaries more consistently (sadly). Failure to follow
> Uniscribe on this is leading to some poor results with NotoSansTelugu.

One downside of not dropping syllable boundary restrictions for GSUB
is that Tai Tham fonts will need to control syllable division -
which syllable U+1A58 TAI THAM SIGN MAI KANG LAI belongs to is a
matter of style and possibly even of context.  A possible solution is
to say that this Indic rule does not apply to the SE Asian shaper.

Richard.