[HarfBuzz] problem with hb_ot_layout_lookup_would_substitute

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Jan 6 23:01:16 PST 2014

On 14-01-05 02:25 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> Doh.  Thanks, it works now.  It's *really* time that HarfBuzz gets
>>> documented :-)
>>
>> That's definitely true.  But Werner, you being FreeType maintainer
>> of over a decade, I don't agree with you this time.  *You* should
>> know that a parameter called "glyphs" takes glyph indices, not
>> Unicode characters...
>
> Yep, my fault.  I was distracted by the `hb_codepoint_t' type.

Right.  Yeah, we use that type for both Unicode codepoints and glyph indices.

>> That said, I also want to add that the documentation infrastructure
>> is fully in place and all that is missing is content.  Anyway can
>> document a function or two and send a me patch / pull request.
>
> If you open some cans full of time for me, I would immediately start
> with that.

Well, same here unfortunately :)

>   However, I think that you are the very person who should
> add raw documentation (this is, adding one or two sentences to roughly
> describe each function); other people like me could then polish that.

I wasn't addressing you necessarily.  There are many other people on this list
who are well qualified to document the API.  In fact, I believe people who
have been using the API are in a much better position to propose documentation
(which I would then proof-read) than me who designed those to begin with.

> It's *not* fun to be forced to check the sources in case a function
> parameter is not obvious – and the obviousness differs enormously
> between you and me, since you are the author...

Right, but then there are people like Luis who are taking their time reading
HB code for the sake of learning...