[HarfBuzz] Question regarding the use of HB_SCRIPT_KATAKANA for "regular" Japanese

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Jan 9 01:44:02 PST 2014

On 14-01-09 03:41 PM, Martin Hosken wrote:
> Dear Behdad,
>
>>> As I work with minority languages, automatic language detectors make me shudder and cry. Please do not assume that because something is in, say Thai script, that it is in Thai language. This is true for nearly every script there is.
>>
>> That's red herring.  In absence of *any other clue*, it's best to mark it as
>> Thai and choose the best font for Thai than too choose font for English and
>> fallback to whatever Thai font happened to be first in the fallback list.
>
> What you say is true at the script level, but at the language level a wrong choice may be worse than no choice. In the case of Thai, if one uses a Thai dictionary to line break then one is definitely making language choices.

That's a fair point.  We probably also don't want the Thai language-system in
OpenType and should prefer the default language system.  So, it's only in the
font selection that we should map from script to dominant language if we don't
know how to choose the best font for script.

I'll keep those in mind when designing my new layout meta-library...

behdad