[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz features and layout

Edu García arcnorj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 20:42:42 PDT 2014

Hi there,

First of all, just let me say that Harfbuzz seems like an awesome piece of
engineering, and the API seems a breeze to use. I've done a very simple
example in just a few hours, and I'm very happy about that :).

I have two (very noob, sorry) questions, tough:

1) I want to enable (or disable) ligatures. I've seen that when using a
font like Adobe Garamond Pro, ligatures are automatically used. I thought I
had to pass a feature to hb_shape() to do that? Also, is there any way of
enabling only some kind of ligatures, like historical ones?
2) Is Harfbuzz the right thing to use if I want to layout my text in a
particular form? For example, I want to enclose my string in a box shape
(like a page), and I was expecting Harfbuzz to automatically move the words
around, but maybe this is the wrong thing to use and I need something like
Pango? If Harfbuzz is the right thing to use, can I have random shapes, or
just rectangles?

Thank you in advance!