[HarfBuzz] Building from git on OS X with Homebrew

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Mon Mar 24 17:43:58 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> A while ago I put MacPorts instructions on the harfbuzz homepage.

It might be helpful also to put those instructions in an INSTALL file in
the repository.  I suspect some people (like me!) in their eagerness to get
started might read the homepage just far enough to get to the github link,
and then follow that.

>  In particular:
>
> To start from git, do this:
>
> sudo port install autoconf automake libtool pkgconfig ragel gtk-doc
> sudo port install freetype glib2 cairo
>
> If you can tell me the brew equivalent of those I'll add to the page.

The man page says brew install takes a single arg, but the online help says
multiple args are allowed, and that does appear to be the case.  So the
equivalent on brew would be (as you guessed):

brew install autoconf automake libtool pkg-config ragel gtk-doc
brew install freetype glib cairo

However:

- cairo requires installing XQuartz manually
- gtk-doc did not successfully install (one problem with libxml2, and
another with gnome-doc-utils)

So maybe it's worth mentioning that the gtk-doc and cairo dependencies can
be omitted if they cause problems.

James