[HarfBuzz] Build-related questions

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon May 12 08:46:49 PDT 2014

On 14-05-11 07:52 AM, Vincent Isambart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2 questions/remarks after trying to build HarfBuzz for iPhone:
> - The build process adds the -mstructure-size-boundary=8 flag when building on ARM, but clang doesn’t support it. Couldn’t that flag added on ARM only when the compiler is GCC?

The configure test is already checking for GCC.  However, clang masquerades as
gcc.  We need a better check for that then.  Perhaps we should check for
structure size boundary first before trying that option.  I'll take a look at
some point.

> - use of UCDN is disabled when building HarfBuzz with glib support, but why is it not when building HarfBuzz with ICU support?

Because by default we build icu support into a separate harfbuzz-icu library.
 Which means, the ICU Unicode callbacks do NOT provide default callbacks and
as such we still want a default.  If you want to build ICU support builtin,
you need to customize the build system manually right now.  But in that case,
you can define HAVE_ICU_BUILTIN for the code to pick it up.