[HarfBuzz] HB-NG and Qt

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:22:50 PST 2014

> On 14-11-05 11:50 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > Tahoma (at least the version shipped in Windows 7) has a kern table,
> > but no kern feature in its GPOS table, so HarfBuzz will not apply the
> > kern table as Behdad described. Uniscribe does not apply the kern
> > table here either AFAICT, so I think the font is working as intended.
>
> That was indeed my thinking before. From what I remember, Uniscribe *never*
> applied the TrueType 'kern' table; it was left to applications to do that.
>
> So I think what I like to see is: on versions of Windows that ship with
> such
> fonts, does notepad apply kerning? If it does, we should do in HarfBuzz.
> Otherwise I'm leaning towards keeping HarfBuzz as is.

 Notepad on my Win7 doesn't apply kerning for Tahoma.

> That said, "fixing" this is about three lines of code. If Konstantin wants
> it
> badly, I don't mind doing it.

That wasn't me who wants, that was a user who thinks it is a noricable
regression since when we were using HB-old :)

As a possible solution, can we have some flag to switch between "agressive"
(forced) and a feature-driven kerning?

> The rule in HarfBuzz-ng is, if the font has *any* GPOS, then the old-style
> kern table is not applied. This is not exactly what OpenType recommends,
> but
> is a cleaner approach than applying old-style kern if the GPOS table has no
> 'kern' feature.

What OpenType recommends for such fonts?

Regards,
Konstantin