[HarfBuzz] About building HarfBuzz on Windows

safa1996alfulaij at gmail.com safa1996alfulaij at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 13:41:44 PDT 2014

Hello.

There was some talks about libAss (in Aegisub) in Windows. One of Aegisub
programmers said that he fail to build HarfBuzz on Windows.
I found this message when I searched for "HarfBuzz Windows" in Google:
>Hi Behdad,
>
>I want to build harfbuzz for windows... What replacement of unicode
>functions should I use? Is there any native support in windows that I can
>use to provide the unicode functions.
>
>--
>Samiullah Khawaja

And a reply:

>ICU is (more or less) the recommended choice. However, I actually had
>less trouble getting glib to work on Windows, but that might be fault of
>mingw.
>
>Unfortunately both ICU and glib are huge frameworks with their own set
>of dependencies. A stripped-down standalone library that provides a
>unicode character database and nothing more would be great to have.
>
>I implemented HarfBuzz support in libass, but projects like Aegisub or
>VLC still ship without HarfBuzz on Windows because the ICU/glib
>requirement is such a pain. :(
>
>Best regards
>Grigori

What to do now? Isn't there anyway to use HarfBuzz in Windows without the
"cross compiling" thing?

Regards,
Safa.