[HarfBuzz] Using Harfbuzz advance_x looks not as good as Freetype

Diederick Huijbers diederickh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 06:12:50 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm working on text rendering and I noticed that when I use the 'glyph
positions'
advance_x of harfbuzz the textlooks not as good as when I use the advance_x
that Freetype provides me.

I did some tests and created this image which shows that the text
positioned
with harfbuzz looks a bit wierd. See the green arrows.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diederick/16688792514/

ā€‹I validated my code with this SDL/FreeType/Harfbuzz example, and the
results
were identical.

https://github.com/acarrico/ex-sdl-freetype-harfbuzz
ā€‹

Updated version for SDL2:
https://gist.github.com/roxlu/9c4d5e650eae1f9e1545

Does someone knows why there is this difference in quality?

Thanks,
Dā€‹