[HarfBuzz] harfbuzz.pc and static linking

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri Aug 14 00:32:59 PDT 2015

For me it works, thanks!

>> Oh, I suppose it doesn't like the recursive dependency between
>> HarfBuzz and FreeType...  You'd think pkg-config knows how to deal
>> with circular deps.  Looks like not.  Do others know about this?
>
> Looks like it *should* handle it.  But isn't for me.  Anyone have
> any insight into this?

After installation the current git of harfbuzz, I get

  $ pkg-config --libs harfbuzz
  -L/usr/local/lib -lharfbuzz

  $ pkg-config --libs --static harfbuzz
  -L/usr/local/lib -lharfbuzz -lglib-2.0 \
    -pthread -lpcre -pthread -lfreetype -lz -lbz2 -lpng12 -lz -lm

  $ pkg-config --libs --static freetype2
  -L/usr/local/lib -lfreetype -lz -lbz2 -lpng12 -lz -lm \
    -lharfbuzz -lglib-2.0 -pthread -lpcre -pthread

This is a self-compiled version of pkg-config's current git.

Note, however, that my openSuSE 13.2's pkg-config version 0.28-7.1.2
works, too.

    Werner