[HarfBuzz] Some questions about scripts and languages

Deepak Jois deepak.jois at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:22:13 PST 2015

I have a few questions about script and language handling in Harfbuzz APIs

1. It seems that hb_buffer_guess_segment_properties uses the LC_TYPE
as the language. In my case, for whatever reason it is reporting it as
ā€˜cā€™. How does that effect shaping, if at all?

2. Is there a canonical list of languages that are defined in any font
standard? Can/does Harfbuzz validate against them? The answer seems no
from a cursory look at the code.

3. I need to convert an hb_script_t to a null terminated string
acceptable to Lua. Is this the best way? (Seemed a bit clumsy to me,
for e.g can I always assume the script is 4 letters?)

char s[128];
hb_tag_to_string(hb_script_to_iso15924_tag(hb_buffer_get_script(*b)),s);

Thank you
Deepak