[HarfBuzz] Some questions about scripts and languages

Behdad Esfahbod behdad.esfahbod at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:30:33 PST 2015

On 15-12-06 04:37 AM, Deepak Jois wrote:
> If there is such a list, why doesn’t Harfbuzz validate the language
> tag, like it does for script. I checked and I was able to pass in an
> arbitrary string as a language.

Because there's nothing meaningful that can be done with an "invalid" language
tag detected.  By not validating, HarfBuzz is future-proof, as in, as long as
the user and the font agree on the language tag, it works, even if at the time
the particular version of HarfBuzz was developed such language tag didn't
exist.  That's why we use a string, not an enum.