[HarfBuzz] Mark zeroing for East Asian scripts

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 02:26:00 PST 2015

On 26/1/15 22:53, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> Trying with sequence of U+308F,3099,308F with NotoSansJP, looks like Uniscribe
> doesn't zero the mark advance but we do.  The font has bad data for this mark,
> but I want to fix the logic discrepancy.
>
> So I'll probably add a new (null-ish) shaper for HIRAGANA, KATAKANA, and HAN,
> and use HB_OT_SHAPE_ZERO_WIDTH_MARKS_NONE.
>
> WDYT?  What to call that shaper?

Seems reasonable to me. In practice, it looks like when fonts support
the combining versions of the sound marks at all (some don't include
them), they do it by ligating them with the preceding kana character,
rather than just positioning a mark on the standard glyph (which would
often clash, or at least look excessively crowded).

As such, zeroing the "mark" advance for a font that didn't do the
ligation is not likely to be useful. So if Uniscribe doesn't do it (and
neither does Cocoa/Core Text, afaict), let's just follow their lead.

Call it hb_ot_complex_shaper_eastasian? hb_ot_complex_shaper_han_kana?

JK