[HarfBuzz] Example application using FriBidi, FreeType, and HarfBuzz

Salah-Eddin Shaban salshaaban at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 12:58:24 PDT 2015

Hello,

I would like to thank you very much for HarfBuzz.

I'm currently trying to use it to add complex-script support to the
text renderer of VLC Media Player, mainly for Arabic subtitle files. I
tried first using Pango but was told there were compatibility issues
with GLib, so HarfBuzz is the way to go.

I had to struggle a little with the Unicode bidirectional algorithm
and with getting to understand how Fribidi, FreeType, and HarfBuzz
work together. Documentation is rather scarce so I had to dig through
some source code, and to experiment with a test application.

I still can't claim to understand everything about the algorithm or
the process of rendering text. When I compare my code to the source
code of Pango it seems too simple to be correct. But it's producing
correct results, as far as I can see, for all text I test it on, and
not just subtitle files.

Anyway, I thought it might help someone get the general picture, if
you think it's appropriate as another user example on the HarfBuzz
wiki.

Any comments or corrections are greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/salshaaban/BidiRenderer