[HarfBuzz] Example application using FriBidi, FreeType, and HarfBuzz

Salah-Eddin Shaban salshaaban at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 03:20:12 PDT 2015

That's right. VLC uses libass to render SSA/ASS subtitles. But it has
its own text rendering modules to render other subtitle formats.

The most common format usually found on sites like opensubtitles.org
is SubRip (.srt).
So to use libass here the user has to convert the files to SSA
beforehand, or VLC should convert the text to SSA at runtime, which is
not the best option.