[HarfBuzz] How to use 'locl' feature of Noto Sans CJK with Harfbuzz?

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Wed May 6 16:14:35 PDT 2015

On Wed, 6 May 2015 23:30:20 +0200
"Adam Twardoch (List)" <list.adam at twardoch.com> wrote:

> 2. For the language tags, one should use high-level ISO-style
> language tags, while the low-level OT languagesystem tags "might"
> work, but it's not recommended to use them.

My mistake.  The code I suggested shouldn't even compile.  One should
use hb_language_from_string(). However, I don't know what one should
use if there isn't a language associated with the 'language system'.  I
suppose a good example would be special glyph shapes for IPA or APA.

Incidentally, looking at hb-ot-tag.cc, what's the big problem with the
Chin and Cree languages?  The Cree styles are heavily split, while a
single style is assumed to suffice for the various Chin languages and
the northern Athabascan languages.  The standard has not been fully
updated for splitting off some of the Athabscan languages!  Or is one
supposed to look for a Navajo language-system for Navajo, and on not
finding it, look for a general Athabascan language-system?  I did note
that there are some problems where Microsoft splits languages more
finely than ISO 693 - translating language naming systems has some of
the problems of translating natural languages!

Richard.