[HarfBuzz] how to detect missing glyphs e.g. for font substitition

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Wed May 13 11:14:48 PDT 2015

>> On 15-05-11 08:06 AM, Konstantin Ritt wrote:
>> > Uniscribe has an API to override the .notdef glyph's value
>>
>> I didn't know this.  Which API is that?
>>

> Turns out I was lying a bit ;)
>
> There is an API to *retrieve* the .notdef glyph's value:
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd368802(v=vs.85).aspx
> (see wgDefault & wgInvalid)

wgDefault is probably the 'OS/2' table's "usDefaultChar" field, which is
usually set to 0x0000 or to 0x0020 (dunno if we use it somewhere).
But what the wgInvalid then? If it is a 'post' table's '.notdef', then it
could [potentially] be mapped to any glyph value (up to the font designer's
imagination).

Konstantin