[HarfBuzz] A Ruby interface to Harfbuzz

John Labovitz johnl at johnlabovitz.com
Fri Oct 2 09:50:21 PDT 2015

I’ve just worked up a preliminary Ruby gem that interfaces to the Harfbuzz library (using FFI). It’s not a full implementation, but is enough to do basic shaping. I’m using it successfully in a Ruby-based typesetting library that I’m developing.

Here’s an example of how the gem can be used:

	https://github.com/jslabovitz/harfbuzz-gem/blob/master/examples/example.rb

More info here:

	https://github.com/jslabovitz/harfbuzz-gem

And it’s on Rubygems — so ‘gem install harfbuzz’ if you dare.

I’d love to hear from any Ruby users who find it useful, or anyone who would like to provide some feedback about the API.

Best,
—John