[HarfBuzz] Itemising Japanese scripts

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Sun Apr 24 15:46:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

I will try to contact with W3C JLREQ experts to ask some
recommended reference.  Before it, I list a few points;

* it is not rare to assign a font for Han character and
different font for kana (I'm unfamiliar with the case
3 fonts for Han/Hiragana/Katakana are assigned in parallel).
the most popular case would be the texts in the comic books.
also, there are many kana-only font.

* however, for PostScript-based systems, making a composite
font (rearranged font) from multiple fonts might be popular
technology. in the other words, the people using such technology
did not split the text into Han-run & Kana-run. they use
same text run including both character, and the font was
switched by the codepoints of the character.

* it is difficult to handle the Latin characters in Japanese
text schematically. Sometimes, they are expected to be rendered
as Latin texts, but in other cases, the consisting Latin
characters are dealt as Han/Kana characters. It is very
confusing when we are trying to render vertical writing mode.

Regards,
mpsuzuki