[HarfBuzz] Unpacking glyph infos and positions in python (again!)

Kelvin Ma kelvinsthirteen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 22:59:26 UTC 2016

Since patching The Library <https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/pull/299>
appears to be a nonstarter, then what is the correct, *workable* way to
unpack the <hb_glyph_info_t> and <hb_glyph_position_t> objects given by the
harfbuzz PyGObject buffer? As I have mentioned many, many times, performing
dynamic lookups on four struct attributes is too inefficient to be useful
for extracting shaped text from “the real world”. It is over ten times
slower than the original C function.

Unless an alternative method exists, I’m afraid the harfbuzz python
bindings are only useful for shaping trivial amounts of text.