[HarfBuzz] ICU and NMake build

Elmar Braun Elmar.Braun at sh-p.de
Mon Dec 5 15:15:04 UTC 2016

Hello,

I've built HarfBuzz 1.3.3 with Visual Studio using the provided NMake build
files. I have two questions though:

Building with "ICU=1" produces two DLLs: harfbuzz-vs14.dll, which, as far as
I can tell, uses ucdn for Unicode data, and does not depend on ICU; and
harfbuzz-icu-vs14.dll, which isn't a complete HarfBuzz DLL. (It exports just
three symbols: hb_icu_get_unicode_funcs, hb_icu_script_from_script, and
hb_icu_script_to_script.) I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for
that, but that explanation is not obvious to me. Why doesn't it simply build
HarfBuzz in a single DLL that depends directly on ICU?

Secondly, in win32\README.txt it describes the "ICU" option as follows:

 > ICU: Enables the build HarfBuzz-ICU, which is now the recommended layout
engine
 >     for ICU (International Components for Unicode), which deprecated ICU
LE.

That reads like a description of icu-le-hb to me. But my understanding is
that icu-le-hb is separate, and not included with HarfBuzz. So isn't that
text plain wrong?

Best regards,
Elmar