[HarfBuzz] Detecting mandatory ligatures

Jamie Dale jamiedale88+harfbuzz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:52:43 UTC 2016

Hey all,

I've spent today fixing some issues in our editable text controls, mostly
relating to issues caused by the difference between characters and grapheme
clusters.

I've sorted most of my issues now, but I'm still having an issue the لا
ligature in Arabic.

My current code that performs picking on text, or applies formatting to
text that spans a ligature, assumes that any ligature can be split into its
component grapheme clusters, however this assumption does not hold true for
that ligature as it cannot be split.

Does HarfBuzz have a way to identify these mandatory ligatures, or failing
that, how do people generally deal with this sort of thing? I have ICU
available if it has anything that can help?

Thanks,
Jamie.