[HarfBuzz] Old Korean T jamo that don't conjoin?

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Thu Mar 29 20:25:28 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to understand a comment in the source for the Hangul shaper.

Line 155; after denoting the various jamo blocks, it says "Only <LV,T>
sequences for T in U+11A8..11C3 combine."

Why is that? The T jamo extend down to U+11FF (all still in the main jamo
block).

More importantly, perhaps, I can't find a source in Unicode or in the MS
OpenType docs that mentions that specific limitation, either. The MS docs'
appendix B lists compositions for the whole T section.[1]

Is the cut-off from some old standard, or something like that? I can see
that the Syllables block doesn't have every permutation; I'm just trying to
understand why T is getting different treatment than L and V....

Thanks,
Nate

[1:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/script-development/hangul#appendix-b-standard-composition-for-old-hangul-jamos