[HarfBuzz] [docs] Design decisions

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Fri Oct 5 18:59:50 UTC 2018

As many of you know, I'm working on writing & fixing up documentation for
the next few months. One of the big pieces (among several) is the
high-level, read-me-first User Manual content type. [In contrast to, for
example, detailed symbol references].

I've decided that we need a short section that talks about the design
decisions made for HarfBuzz. Including things like not using the C++
standard library, memory-mapping, etc. That sort of detail helps out people
who are evaluating whether or not HarfBuzz meets their use case.

I've come across several of these just in the course of going through the
source and in various talks I've seen. But I'm certainly not going to infer
all of the right ones that way, so I'm asking you all.... What should be
included in this section?

Thanks,
Nate
--