[HarfBuzz] HarfBuzz shaping of R2L text

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 2 19:29:15 UTC 2019

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 21:01:35 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:

> The version of HarfBuzz I built on Windows and am using with Emacs has
> Graphite support, so I reckon I don't have to worry about picking up a
> Graphite shaper?

It depends what you want to do with the shaper.  If you want to study
what it does in the way of sequencing the glyphs, you need to ensure
you use the shaper you want to study!  The order the glyphs are
presented to the renderer may be very different between using a
Graphite shaper and using the HarfBuzz OpenType shaper.  For one thing,
swapping glyphs round is easy in Graphite and complicated in OpenType.

Richard.