[HarfBuzz] Selecting fonts for HarfBuzz

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Jun 5 19:07:36 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 8:01 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>
> > Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 12:05:00 -0700
> > Cc: "harfbuzz at lists.freedesktop.org" <harfbuzz at lists.freedesktop.org>
> >
> > We assume fonts support shaping.  Ie. we don't have a way to check for
> font suitability for correct shaping.
>
> I understand, thanks.  I wasn't asking how to do that with HarfBuzz, I
> was asking what font features should my font matching function examine
> to make sure the font will "support shaping" in the HarfBuzz sense.
> Features that can be tested without actually shaping some text, of
> course, i.e. without actually opening the font and using it.

And I was talking generally.  There's nothing you can check in fonts that
wouldn't leave some valid use-case out.

In other words, I don't know of a legitimate way to filter out broken fonts
like code2000.  If that's what you are asking for.

Let me ask it differently: why do you think you need to filter anything out?