[HarfBuzz] Why mark glyphs are skipped when MarkBasePos matching?

Shusaku KIMURA skimura0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 05:55:07 UTC 2019

Dear Mr Wordingham.

Thank you for the reply. The replies from you and Mr Hosken give me
very helpful information.

> Describing it as "ignoring all marks" is a confusing way of putting
> it; "processing all marks" would be better.

Yes, I understand that the goal is 'processing all marks' as you
mentioned and 'ignoring all marks' is just the way to the goal.

> Yes.  For example Tahoma Version 5.2, installed in Windows 7, uses a
> single lookup with a single subtable for positioning marks on bases
> in Thai.  The combination of a vowel below and a tone mark above is
> quite common.

Thank you for the information.

> The rules about the association of marks and bases and components of
> ligatures are not as clear as they should be...

OK. Thank you for the information.

> There are many places where the behaviour of HarfBuzz is derived not
> from the specifications, but from an analysis of the behaviour of
> Uniscribe.

So that means Uniscribe also has behaviors not described in the
specification, even though Uniscribe is implemented by Microsoft who
is the writer of the specification. Is it correct?

Anyway, I get that there are no documents which is absolute and
trustworthy for the implementer. Are there any contacts to report such
unclearness or ambiguity of the specification?

Thank you,